Taking a Stand

The job market out there is definitely tough.  I've had my share of let-downs on the roller coaster that is the job market.  In times like this people are often tempted to make themselves extremely available and extremely open-minded--even if that open-mindedness means compromising ones values.

When there are a handful of job-seekers and a plethora of open positions, it's easy to take a stand for what you believe in.  When the chips are down and there are few guarantees, however, it's a bit harder.  I haven't been in the situation where I had to decide on a company I didn't agree with, but I did have a recent opportunity to take a stand for what I believed in nonetheless.

Several years ago, I was certified as the youngest sponsor for a Christian leadership program.  The one-day seminar involved bringing teenagers in from all over Lexington, and was very successful.  Because of the amount of leadership work involved with this (securing finances, organizing the event, facilitating the needs of all those involved through the months of planning leading up to the event), the event made it onto my resume.

It has been recommended by some that I remove this event from my resume, as it may somewhat limit my availability.  What if an employer disliked people of faith and did not consider me as a result?  What if they simply decided I was too "spiritual" to be an asset?  These are relevant questions--by putting my faith out there, I open the door for employers to pass over my resume if they feel that my values are not needed in their organization.

I chose to leave it on my resume anyway, and I think it has contributed to a positive response.  In a recent interview, I was able to speak afterward with the prospective employer about my faith, and how Biblical principles can often lead to prolonged business success.  The interview had already ended at this point, but the short exchange gave me the chance to meet not just an employer--but an individual who shared my values.  While it may not have affected my chances at getting the job, sometimes there are more important things than just that.

What things will you be willing to take a stand for in your life?  Remember that you can make your resume as generic and faceless as you want--and in doing so avoid offending any employer out there.  Or you can make multiple resumes, and cater each one to the values of the company you send them out to.  But doing so robs you of who you truly are.

Remember, it isn't just about finding a company that likes you--it's about finding a company you like.  It is a mutual fit that you are seeking: one where both you and your employer benefit from your work.  If you are unhappy, uncomfortable or forced to be something you aren't, then the job probably wasn't right for you anyway.

So what's my advice for today's column?  Be yourself.  Yes, it is possible that an employer will pass you over.  That's perfectly fine.  As Aaron Tippin says in the old country song, "You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything."  The same rings true in business:  be willing to take a stand for what you feel is right.  When you meet the right employer who shares your values, you'll thank me.  It may take a little longer to find a fit, but when you do, it'll be the right one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NARCAN: The danger of a "Three Strikes" policy

Arcade Cabinet - PICTURES!

Arcade machine - ALMOST DONE! (Painted and Pictures!)