Arcade Cabinet - The good, the bad, and the ugly.

The arcade projected continued on today with a few updates.  Legacy Engineer, the company that I had ordered my Arcade32 interface card from, failed to respond to any of my queries or give me any kind of update on the product I ordered for the last 8 days. Finally today after half a dozen calls to their answering machines, they sent me a response via email: apparently they are "out of stock" and it'll be a week or so before they come in.

A company that takes almost a week and a half to find out they don't have something in stock isn't one I plan to do business with any time soon. I've requested a refund and will be using the money on an Ipac-2 interface from Ultimarc, which is the most recommended keyboard controller for this project in the first place.

For about three hours today I worked on the controller panel; it now has both joysticks and all 18 buttons mounted on it (1 and 2 player start buttons, and 8 buttons for each player).  The last two buttons will be installed on the left and right walls of the machine, to make realistic pinball buttons for games that use them.  When not used for pinball they can double as "coin 1/coin2" for people who don't have change to drop in the coin box.

Speaking of the coin box, I was able to snag a good deal on an over/under coin door complete with coin mechs and a coin box.  It should arrive Wednesday, so I'll have yet another things to upload pictures for (along with my Cantenna and my arcade control panel) soon.

Cutting the fiberglass was NOT easy to do, and there was a single crack that showed up before the job was done.  If I have time at the end of the project I may redo the top with a thicker piece of plexiglass, but for now the crack may be covered with a decal anyway (or depending on the design I may not use fiberglass in the final project) so I'm going to wait and see what time, my budget and my imagination suggests as the best course of action.

The next part of the construction will be the assembly of the arcade cabinet itself. It will be much thinner and a more streamlined design than the average arcade cabinet setup, and will hopefully provide a smaller footprint as well while still being above-average in features.  Pictures of that will follow as well (don't worry; I'm taking pictures--just uploading them doesn't always happen as quickly as I would like).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NARCAN: The danger of a "Three Strikes" policy

Arcade Cabinet - PICTURES!

Arcade machine - ALMOST DONE! (Painted and Pictures!)