At&t + microcell technology = Service!

I got an interesting letter in the mail today from AT&T, my cellular service provider.  The letter was pretty straight and to the point: I have bad coverage where I live, so I am entitled to a (completely free) "microcell."

After checking to make sure this wasn't just some scam (yes, it's legit, and yes, they are being offered to certain qualifying customers in poor coverage areas), I headed out to the sore with the paper. They took it, and handed me the box.  I went home, plugged it in, and typed the serial number into my online account page, and within 15 minutes, I had something I never had before from my house:

Perfect signal.

AT&T's Cisco-powered 3G Microcell uses your broadband internet to give you perfect quality voice and data service, emulating a cellphone tower.  I have 5 bars anywhere within 40 feet of the transmitter, and a full 3G signal.  In addition, it has a boosted GPS and as my home address already programmed in for 911 purposes.

Normally I'd tell you if it was worth the money. But considering it was free, you can't go wrong.  And even in spite of the zero-dollar price tag, this thing is worth every bit of the $200 you pay if you aren't a "qualifying customer." 

Now, of course, the flipside: what's in it for AT&T?  Well with the Verizon branded iPhone coming out, there are many customers that are considering switching to get a better signal (Verizon runs on the 900mhz band, and roams onto Sprint's network as well.  The lower wavelength can provide better building penetration than the higher frequencies used by other providers).  It may be coincidence that I got the letter one week from the day that the iPhone for Verizon comes out, but I find it unlikely.  And what's more, since you're using your own internet to carry the signal, it is probably a big money-saver over time considering the amount of data that current iPhone users go through.

In the end, I don't mind that it's a clever money-saving decision for AT&T.  Why? Because having full cellular service makes my landline even less necessary, potentially cutting out a pretty big bill for an arbitrary service.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NARCAN: The danger of a "Three Strikes" policy

Arcade Cabinet - PICTURES!

Arcade machine - ALMOST DONE! (Painted and Pictures!)